Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kamikaze Girls -the book

I recently finished reading the Kamikaze girls book, I watched the movie first about a year ago and recently thought to read the book because its become sort of a "lolita classic".  In the movie I found Momoko had a lack of character, and that she was a little too one-dimensional. However in the book you get more of a glimpse into her thought processes and her personality comes out more. wich was a great relief!

I also find the book was better then the movie in that you aren't so much caught up in the visuals to miss the point of the story, of getting along even though your completely different people. The book isnt really about fashion, even though its a major part. Its about values. When we watch the movie, with Momoko's bonnets and petticoats we tend to forget this.

As with most books-turned-movies I would recommend the book over the movie! Its a must read for anyone interested in the spirit and background of lolita. (the book itself give a bit of a history lesson of how and when it first began).

Also I found out that it has a sequel? am I behind the news or is it because it hasn't been translated or something?

1 comment:

  1. Where did you find the book? I've been searching for it everywhere!

    And, is it the novel version or the manga version? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete