Wednesday, August 24, 2011

comparing experiences: ear piercings

I have had my ears pierced twice now, once because of a misinformed christmas gift (of a whole tin of earrings), and more recently because I want to wear adorable and nerdy earrings.

The first time when I was about 13 and my parents tuck me to Clairs (the accessory shop) in the nearest mall. I was pierced with a piercing gun using gold earrings. I remember bleeding a fair bit and crying because of the pain.

The second time was a bit over a month ago now, was done in a tattoo parlour, by a professional. They used a piercing needle and surgical steel earrings.  it hurt about as much or even less then a shot you get in your shoulder, and barely bled at all.

The cair regime i was told to follow the first time is completely different from what i was told to do by a professional. no alcohol, no turning, no hydrogen peroxide. just mild soap and some salty water. This is the single most infuriating of things, when I had my earrings in the first time they lasted about a year but were plagued by infection and never healed. and i never got to even change them once. eventually my parents and i were annoyed with them and we just tuck them out.

So far I haven't gotten any infections and they seem to be healed after a month. perhaps i will wait another week to change them just to be on the safe side (I was told 4-6 weeks healing time).

Please If theres anything to learn from my experience is to always get your piercings done professionally.  Its much less painful, safer,  and the piercers are more knowledgeable. No matter the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment